Woman pushed from vehicle, run over: police – Winnipeg

On 23/10/2018 by admin

WINNIPEG – Police say the woman killed in a vehicle-pedestrian crash Wednesday had actually been pushed out of the vehicle that hit her, part of a dispute with her male common-law partner that turned violent.

Jennie Lynda Lee Graves, 35, died later Wednesday in hospital.

The accused, Keith Ryan Thompson, 35, was arrested at the scene of the crash near the corner of St. Anne’s and St. Mary’s Roads at 2:30 in the morning Wednesday.

Winnipeg police say Thompson and Graves were driving in a vehicle, which Global News has learned is a moving company cube van, when an argument escalated and turned physical.

Graves was allegedly pushed out of the moving vehicle. After falling onto the road, police say Graves was struck by the back wheels. She was taken to hospital where she later died of her injuries.

Winnipeg police  closed the intersection of St. Mary’s and St. Anne’s roads Wednesday morning to investigate the tragic incident where Jennie Lee Graves was killed.

Gage Fletcher / Global News

According to police, the driver stopped a few blocks away and a witness who followed the vehicle brought the suspect back to the scene of the crash.

Charges against Thompson include:

Causing Death by Criminal Negligence
Driving While Ability Impaired Causing Death
Fail or Refuse to Provide Sample when Involved in an Accident Causing Death
Dangerous Operation of Motor Vehicle Causing Death
Fail to remain at the scene of an accident and exchange particulars

Keith Thompson


Story continues below


Police responded Thursday to questions from reporters about whether officers considered homicide charges in this case.

“Something like this the Crown (prosecutor) would be consulted. At this point these have been deemed to be the appropriate charge. That may change in the future, it’s always a possibility depending upon if any further evidence comes to light,” said Cst. Eric Hofley.

The cube van belonged to Popeye’s Moving, the firm where Thompson works.

“This was not work related, it was on personal time,” Owner Mark Routley told Global News, expressing shock at news of the charges. “This is a sad day for all of us around here, it’s very tragic”

Facebook quickly filled up with posts reacting to Graves’ death.

“I cant believe it………My best buddie is now in heaven……I cant stop crying thinking of her 4 beautiful babies….. I will miss you forever my girl,” said one.

Comments are closed.